Laing + Simmons Strata | FAQs

We are committed to delivering prompt resolutions and regular communications with owners on all aspects of strata management. This list of frequently asked questions is here to help as a first step.

Where can I find a Strata Committee Nomination form?

You can download one by clicking here .

Where can I find an Owner Update Information form?

You can download one by clicking here .

Where can I find a copy of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015?

You can download one by clicking here .

Where can I find information on and  contact the Strata Community Association?

You can find all you need to know about the Strata Community Association and contact them at there website by clicking here .

Where can I find information on and  contact the Office of Fair Trading?

You can find all you need to know about the Office of Fair Trading and contact them at there website by clicking here .

What is a Strata Scheme?

A Strata Scheme is a building or collection of buildings that has been divided into “lots”, these can be individual units / apartments, townhouses or houses. This entity is called an Owners Corporation.

What do I actually Own?

The difference in owning a house and a unit in a Strata Scheme (Lot) is that the external walls, floors, roof and windows etc do not belong to you as these are deemed common property, which means the Maintenance and repair of these parts of the building are the responsibility of the Owners Corporation to upkeep and maintain.

Who is responsible for repairs?

A lot owner is responsible for repairs and maintenance for anything contained within the cubic space of their lot. Refer to the ‘Who’s Responsible’ Booklet

What is a Strata Committee and who can be elected?

A Strata Committee is a group of Owners elected at the Annual General Meeting each year. They act as a representative in the daily management of the Strata Scheme. Lot owners and company nominees of lot owners may stand for election to be a member of the Strata Committee. Non-owners may be nominated by Lot owners to stand.

What are By Laws?

By Laws are a set of rules specific to each and every Strata Plan. All lot owners / residents and their guests must abide by when on the common property. These such By Laws address matters like Noise, Parking of Vehicles, Keeping of Animals, Smoking & Air B&B.

What is a Quorum?

A quorum means that a minimum of 25% of financial lot owners must be present at a General Meeting. If a Quorum is not achieved, then the meeting is adjourned. At Strata Committee Meetings 50% of members are required to run the meeting.

What is an Administrative Fund?

An Administrative Fund is for the payment of everyday expenses for the management of the Strata Scheme. These include cleaning of the common property, gardening, and the payment of the Strata Schemes Insurance.

What is a Capital Works Fund?

A Capital Works Fund is for the payment of future capital expenses such as Painting of the interior and exterior of the Complex, replacement of the common property carpet, installation of CCTV and replacing common property.

What happens if I have a disagreement with the Owners Corporation?
If you are unhappy with the way the rules are being applied you can talk to your Strata Manager or a member of the Strata Committee Member, raise it as a motion at the next General Meeting or contact the governing body ie NCAT and the Office of Fair Trading.

What does a Strata Manager do?

Strata Managers are engaged by the Owners Corporation to manage the day to day running of the Strata Scheme and as Strata Schemes are becoming larger and larger as more and more people downsize from houses into Units, the Strata Manager provides assistance on financial management of the Strata Scheme, Insurance, administrative support, maintenance and contract support of common property and advise on the legal requirements for the running of the Strata Scheme.

Is a Smoke Detector Common Property?

If the smoke detectors are stand alone and are not connected to a fire board in the building then they are Owners Responsibility, otherwise they are Owners Corporation.

Are door locks considered common property?

Only the original lock or its subsequent replacement is the responsibility of the owner’s corporation. However, if any additional locks are installed, they are the responsibility of the owner. If the owner replaces the original lock with a lock that prevents the door complying with fire certification, if the owner refuses to replace it with a complying lock, the owner’s corporation can replace the lock and charge the owner as a debt.

What are Levies in a Strata Scheme and who pays them?

Every Strata Scheme provides regular Strata Levies, which are collected quarterly from all Lot Owners. The levies collected are deposited in the Strata Schemes Trust Account and is then used for the upkeep and maintenance of the Strata Scheme. These levies are determined each year at the Annual General Meeting.

Can I renovate my bathroom and kitchen without permission?

No under the new legislation bathroom and kitchen renovations fall under different categories: cosmetic, minor and major:

Cosmetic renovations:
Owners can do cosmetic work without approval. This includes day-to-day work such as:
• installing or replacing hooks, nails or screws for hanging paintings or other things on walls
• installing or replacing handrails within your lot
• interior painting
• filling minor holes and cracks in internal walls.

Minor renovations:
Owners need approval, over 50 percent of the votes in favour, before doing any minor renovations. Minor renovations include:
• renovating a kitchen
• changing recessed light fittings
• installing or replacing wood or other hard floors
• changing internal walls
• sustainability measures (such as a clothesline or reverse cycle air conditioner). However, these cannot involve changing the outside appearance of a lot or structural changes.

Major renovations include:
• structural changes
• waterproofing
• changes affecting the outside appearance of the property, such as an access ramp
• work that needs approval under other laws (for example, council approval).